Re: init-select

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 4:43 AM, Andreas Cadhalpun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03.01.2014 10:16, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>
>> Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> writes:
>>>
>>> So, today I wrote init-select.  It's a small tool that empowers users
>>> to freely and simply choose among all of the available init systems.
>>> It also empowers Debian contributors to devote their energy toward
>>> their favorite init knowing that users can easily swap inits to try
>>> the new features they are working on.
>>

>> IMO you are solving the wrong problem. Or how would you ensure that
>> while the user can easily switch the init system, when doing so half of
>> the daemons installed won't start because they don't support the
>> alternative. And if he switches back, the other half does not start
>> because the only support the other alternative. IMO the hard problem is
>> mostly about which systems must be supported by all packages.
>> init-select does not help to solve this.
>

> I think this would not be a problem (at least until jessie+1), because both
> systemd and upstart have a compatibility layer for sysvinit scripts, which
> all daemons have to provide according to policy.
>
> But I fail to see, why initsel would be better than:
> sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv/upstart/sysvinit-core

Because it makes it possible for all of them to coexist peacefully.
Right now all of those packages conflict with one-another.  Thus,
currently switching init systems that way can be a "scary" process for
the average user.

Finally, there is no way to select anything other than the default
init in during the installation process (note that init-select doesn't
currently implement that yet, but will be rather straightforward).

Best wishes,
Mike