Re: RFC: removing Mirrors.masterlist from .gitignore in choose-mirror

Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> (2013-10-12):
> That seems fair....except that, being a frequent uploader of
> choose-mirror, I'm very likely to forget about that when building it
> then committing back after the build (as I'm building in pbuilder, the
> Mirrors.masterlist file in my local git checkout is not updated...only
> the one in the chroot is).

After sending the mail I was still wondering how to trigger the sync and
how to make sure the file is committed. Maybe we could just use something
similar to d-i's l10n status file:
 - stop the sync during clean (easily overridable by downstreams if they
   want to keep it);
 - warn if the file is say older than 2 weeks;
 - give appropriate instructions to run the sync (*and commit* ;)) when
   an outdated file is detected.

That should ensure we see the need for an update while we're preparing
the source package, and that we take appropriate measures when that
happens. What do you think?

Mraw,
KiBi.