Re: loop-mounted ISO images

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 11:44:54 -0400
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:

>> in Ubuntu, the relevant parameter is "iso-scan/filename=<FILENAME>".
>
> iso-scan is part of the Debian installer.

> I wrote it. Always nice to have my Debian work cited as another reason
> Ubuntu is better than Debian!

Well, it's better in the sense that they actually include it in their
standard ISO images, whereas for Debian:

> it is only included in the hd-media initrd. There is no reason to
> include it on the regular CD initrd, because isohybrid allows mounting
> the USB stick directly. (Not a loop-mount of an iso file included in
> some disk, which the hd-media initrd handles.)

There actually is a reason to include it: because then the Debian ISO
can be contained in a normal filesystem along with others, using grub or
syslinux to select which one to boot.

> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-easy

This still doesn't explain how the initrd knows which ISO to use if
there is more than one of them, and the "iso-scan/filename" parameter
isn't specified.

I see that the iso-scan package is 90KB, compressed:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/iso-scan

This is absolutely nothing in comparison to the size of a 200MB ISO
image.

Is there any real reason NOT to include it, when doing so would enable
the multi-ISO flashdrive usage?

On a related subject, if you have any influence with Ubuntu, could you
get them to apply this patch?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/1159464

-- Ian Bruce