Re: loop-mounted ISO images

ian_bruce@fastmail.net wrote:
> Is there some boot parameter that can be given to the Debian installer
> initrd to make it understand that it's running from a loop-mounted ISO
> image file rather than a plain block device?
>
> This is a well established feature in some distributions; for example,
> in Ubuntu, the relevant parameter is "iso-scan/filename=<FILENAME>".

iso-scan is part of the Debian installer[1].

However, it is only included in the hd-media initrd. There is no reason
to include it on the regular CD initrd, because isohybrid allows
mounting the USB stick directly. (Not a loop-mount of an iso file
included in some disk, which the hd-media initrd handles.)

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-easy
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/

--
see shy jo

[1] I wrote it. Always nice to have my Debian work cited as another
    reason Ubuntu is better than Debian!