Re: serious problem, I don't know where to report!

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> wrote:
> On 17/08/13 16:56, Jack Wilborn wrote:
>> [...]
>> sending any kind of e-mail or writing virtually impossible. The
>> things changes fonts!!
>
> Oh, wow!
>
> It's not actually the 'font' changing there, but the character set or
> 'Unicode plane', I think;  non-ASCII characters are being typed for some
> reason.  Does it always trigger after the first sentence?

Good idea, try to figure out what triggers it, if not shift-space or ctrl-space.

> Which desktop environment are you using?  (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE...)
> The maintainers of the relevant desktop environment might know what
> causes this.

I think they would be first interested in what he installed just
before this started.

> You may need to check settings for keyboard layout, language and
> similar.  I have a feeling your desktop is configured for an Asian
> script instead of whatever you were expecting.

I was thinking any of the scripts that allow more characters than the
keyboard has would do the trick, including, say, Spanish. But I'm not
familiar with how accents and tildes are input in Spanish. And I'm
pretty sure Spanish doesn't use the double width versions of Latin, so
maybe not Spanish after all.

Asian includes Arab, Hebrew, Thai, and so forth, as well, of course.

Japanese is the most easily suspect, since it's the Japanese encodings
that basically forced the double width characters to be included in
Unicode, IIRC.

> Regards,
> --
> Steven Chamberlain
> steven@pyro.eu.org

Do Steven's comments help, Jack?

I sure wasn't firing on all cylinders when I posted this morning. May
not be firing on all cylinders, now. Hope I didn't cause too much
confusion.

--
Joel Rees