Re: debian-7.1.0-i386-netinst included installer can not detect network hardware

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 04:21:40PM +0200, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:
> Dear sir,
> Thank You very much for Yours constructive help.
> Yes, Linux kernel is displaying I/O error related to FD0 floppy disk
> drive device.
> I think, that this can make problem to kernel, i hope, that some
> kernel threat is not overloaded by this constant searching for FD0,
> some kernel loops are may be overloaded.
>
> But i must give it up, i AM totally blind and i can not safely
> change The BIOS settings.
> I will try to ask for sighted assistance.

At least there is a good chance that it will solve the problem.

There was a suggestion of passing the kernel option 'floppy=thinkpad'
at the boot prompt, but no answer as to whether that made a difference
or not.

> I Am using Gnome live project because in Debian Squeeze, ALSA sound
> server is being used without Pulseaudio sound server and because i
> AM blind at all, i Am using Orca screen reader with Espeak speech
> synthesizer.
> When Pulse audio is being used, there are issues with speech responsiveness.
> So thank You for finding The reasons.

Pulseaudio is often a major annoyance.  Yet other times it seems to
solve problems.  It is really annoying.

> If i were C language developer, i would modifi The C source code of
> Debian installer, so it would stop to find all available network
> devices, if one would be detected, second device would be ignored by
> The installer.

Well the installer wouldn't know which device you wanted to use.
Some machines have multiple wired ports and it wouldn't know which one
you plugged a cable into.

> So only non vireless network devices would be used by The Debian installer.
> But i know, that many users are having vireless Internet
> connections, and that Debian installer developers thought it well
> with Debian installer users.

Some people want to install by wireless for some reason, and quite a
bit of work appears to have gone into supporting that in wheezy.

> So thank You again for Yours help.

No problem.  I hope you get the BIOS setting changed and that it fixes
the problem.

Or maybe that kernel option would fix it.

The description of that option is:

floppy=thinkpad
  Tells the floppy driver that you have a Thinkpad. Thinkpads use an
  inverted convention for the disk change line.

--
Len Sorensen