Re: Move desktop type selection from kernel parameter to debconf question?

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> At the moment one can choose which of kde, gnome, lxde,xfce (and
> others?)  should be installed using the desktop= kernel option to d-i,
> or by preseeding the tasksel/desktop debconf value.
>
> But I've seen requests for a normal debconf question instead, and
> implemented a new udeb this evening to allow this to happen.  It is in
> the d-i git repository,

If this is part of d-i, the repository should be added to the top-level
.mrconfig file in d-i, so it is checked out with the rest.

> The template text need more work

That's the entire reason that tasksel does not prompt the user to choose
between desktop environments. They are not describable in a few
sentences, so the user who is not already familiar with them is left
with a technical choice which they are not qualified to make. d-i's main
UI goal is to avoid presenting the user with a long series of such
choices.

--
see shy jo