Re: Kernel image and OOT auto builder environment (Was: Using out of tree modules in d-i)?

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 17:53 +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> On May 22, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > Quoting from the report of our 2009 meeting,
> > <20091015123106.GA16736@kyllikki.org>:
> >> out of tree modules
> >> -------------------
> >>
> >> After a somewhat involved discussion taking into account the FTP
> >> masters extreme irritation about trying to match binaries to source by
> >> hand for the lenny release it was resolved to remove
> >> linux-modules-extra and -nonfree as they are an impossible to support
> >> approach.
> >
> > The Built-Using header should cover FTP masters' concerns.  However it
> > is still the case that omnibus source packages are unsustainable as many
> > OOT modules are not kept up to date with the kernel API.
>
> I haven't been keeping up with the inner workings of Debian GNU/Linux
> the last couple of years, so please take this as-is.
>

> Is it possible to setup an automatic build system for kernel and modules?

Of course it is.

[...]
> To clarify: the kernel maintainer does not build and upload the package
> to the archives, but only uploads the source package to this special
> build system and it will do the rest...
[...]

Absolutely not acceptable.  Out-of-tree modules must not hold up fixes
to the kernel.  It was bad enough when their build failures were
blocking each other in linux-modules-extra-2.6.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Computers are not intelligent.	They only think they are.