Re: Using out of tree modules in d-i?

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 15:05 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
[...]
> I'm also not sure how kernel maintainers see (new) OOT modules in the
> archive (AFAIUI the general feeling is: there should be no OOT
> modules, period; but I might be misremembering things, I don't follow
> kernel things closely enough).
>
> -kernel@: your opinion on those?

Quoting from the report of our 2009 meeting,
<20091015123106.GA16736@kyllikki.org>:
> out of tree modules
> -------------------
>
> After a somewhat involved discussion taking into account the FTP
> masters extreme irritation about trying to match binaries to source by
> hand for the lenny release it was resolved to remove
> linux-modules-extra and -nonfree as they are an impossible to support
> approach.

The Built-Using header should cover FTP masters' concerns.  However it
is still the case that omnibus source packages are unsustainable as many
OOT modules are not kept up to date with the kernel API.

> A few modules the project really want/must have will be placed
> directly into the linux-2.6 source

Linux has plenty of fine filesystems to choose from already, so this is
not a must-have.  Also, there are questions as to whether it would be
legal.

> The kernel team would endorse the use of dkms as a way for out-of-tree
> module maintainers to get their modules auto-built.

Doesn't work for d-i, of course.

It might be possible to reintroduce OOT module support in the
linux-support-* packages (plus a metapackage) so that OOT module
maintainers could easily add binary packages of their modules for all
flavours.  But it would take a fair amount of work on both sides - it
requires a source upload and a trip through NEW for every kernel ABI
bump.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.