debootstrap, bzcat and packages on install CDs containing data.tar.bz2 members

[I'm not subscribed, please CC me in reply]

I'm remastering the install CDs to do offline installs of a custom
package and its dependencies. I am updating the apt repository on the CD
to include the package and its dependencies. One of the dependencies
(libpng) has a data.tar.bz2 member in it. When I do an install, it fails
because debootstrap complains that there is no bzcat command in the
install environment.

Which approach should I take here?

      * Make a bzip2 udeb and add that to the installer CD
      * Figure out what is copying the debs from the pool
        to /target/var/cache/apt/archives and prevent that from
        happening for libpng.
      * Figure out why debootstrap is scanning all debs instead of just
        the ones that it is installing.

Any tips for figuring out this issue?

--
bye,