Re: default LUKS/LVM names

Hi there!

On Wed, 08 May 2013 11:00:34 +0200, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 6 May 2013 06:04, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> The current default names for an LVM on LUKS setup are:
>>
>> <disk>_crypt
>> <host>-root
>> <host>-swap_1
>>
>> I would like something more consistent like these:
>>
>> <host>-crypt
>> <host>-root
>> <host>-swap
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Something consistent and sensible would be nice.

While I was agreeing with Paul when I read his email, then I came to the
conclusion that <disk>_crypt and <host>-* are two different things, so
having different names is reasonable.

I agree, however, that there is no reason to use 'swap_1' and that
'<partition>' (not <disk>) is ugly:
=====
$ ls -l /dev/mapper/
total 0
crw------T 1 root root 10, 236 May  7 15:31 control
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 May  7 15:31 gismo-home -> ../dm-3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 May  7 15:31 gismo-root -> ../dm-2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 May  7 15:31 gismo-swap -> ../dm-1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 May  7 15:31 sda2_crypt -> ../dm-0
$
=====

> Someone had a host / device name clash, and thus e.g. for LVM VG I
> added to use a suffix "-vg" in ubuntu and planning to push a similar
> change to debian, as otherwise unattended installations were failing
> and were not exactly unattended.

IIRC VG names with '-' inside are shown as '--' in /dev/mapper/ to
differentiate between '-' *within* the name as '-' in VG-LV, which is
quite ugly by default IMHO.

> ps. hostnames are often pre-assigned by dhcp in fully automated installations.

This is something you can control, either on the DHCP side or in the
preseed.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca