Re: RFC: initramfs-tools support for early firmware loading

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 19:23:50 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> As of Linux kernel 3.9, support for supplying early firmware data to the
> kernel has been added.  Currently, it is used for early microcode updates
> for Intel processors, and ACPI table overrides.
>
> This is a very important feature, that we should support as soon as
> practical.  ACPI table overrides can massage less-than-stellar firmware into
> something usable, and early CPU microcode update are the only way (other
> than a BIOS upgrade) to avoid certain CPU defects.
>
> To supply early firmware data to the kernel, we have to *prepend* an
> uncompressed cpio archive to the initramfs image.  The initramfs image
> itself can be compressed as usual.
>
> Currently, initramfs-tools has undocumented support for appending data to
> the initramfs image.  This is now useless.  We need to enhance
> initramfs-tools to support adding arbritary files to a cpio archive that
> needs to be prepended to the initramfs image.

Seems a bit odd that you're sending a mail about initramfs-tools to two
mailing lists, none of which are the initramfs-tools maintainer?  (Hint:
that would be initramfs-tools@packages.debian.org, aka
debian-kernel@lists.debian.org)

Cheers,
Julien