Re: Couldn't boot after installing 6.0.7-amd64 - GRUB problem

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:48:14AM +0200, Stefan Borer wrote:
> Hi there Debian community
>
> I want to report a bug which took me quite a while to solve it.
>
> I installed the version mentioned above on a HDD which had some Win-Data on a partition, but no win-OS (it might have been set "active").
> The installation itself was no problem, but after booting from HDD there was no bootable OS available.
> I tried to fix GRUB with the "Super Grub Disk" with not so great success.
> After reinstalling GRUB with Knoppix, the GRUB-prompt was there on start-up.
> I tried:
> root (hd0,4)
> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
> initrd /initrd
> boot
>
> what then allowed me to boot from the debian.
> Then I had first to:
> apt-get update
> and then install grub again.
>
> Because first the grub version was 0.98 (which did not run for me) and now with grub v2 everything is fine,
> I think there might be a bug in 6.0.7-amd64, messing up the grub versions?!
>
> To be honest, the problem could also have been the win-partition and it's mbr-table, I just don't know.
> Just wanted to tell you, so other people can be prevented from this...

Did you previously have linux installed on the system?

Where did you tell debian to install grub?

Is it possible you told debian to install grub to your partition, and
your MBR still had an old GRUB install on it that then broke when the
old linux install disappeared (assuming you had one)?

--
Len Sorensen