Re: fails to detect usb mobile broadband device

I have, to-day, re-installed debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-i386-DVD.iso on the
same computer.
This time I did not plug the printer into the USB socket
However, I did plug in the USB mobile broadband device made by Huawei
before I started.

I chose alternative  desktop KDE, and British English,
Then I used default options as far as possible until,
it got to configuring the network, I had to tell it to "Do not
configure network at this time."
Later,  I was invited to choose a mirror,
I selected "Yes" then choose the default mirror.
It failed to connect.
I chose to continue without network mirror

It finished installation successfully.

It rebooted on IDE-0, still with only the Broadband Modem in a USB
socket.
I pressed <Ctrl><Alt><F1> and found the /var/log/install/ ,
it contains about 14 Mega-Bytes of data,
do you really want all of it?

I typed :
lsusb > lsusb.txt
and attach a copy of the resulting file.

I pressed <Ctrl><Alt><F7> and logged in as the user.
The computer successfully detected the USB Mobile Broadband.
I used the GUI to configure it.
It worked.

So far so good.
However the file /etc/apt/sources.list did not contain the right
mirror data.
I can correct this on my computer, but if I were to recommend Debian7
to some-one else, then they might never update the packages unless I
do it for them.

Apart from that, I think that I can recommend Debian 7 to new users.
Congratulations.
I have already recommended Debian 6.0.5 to a repair man.
I said that his son might like to try it on their old computer.
I never met him before, nor since.

Best regards
Richard Betham

On Saturday 02 March 2013 17:14:03 Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 11:25 +0000, Richard Betham wrote:
> > Image: debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-i386-DVD-1.iso
> > Boot-method: <DVD>
> > Date: <01.03.2013>
> >
> > Machine: <NEC Powermate>
> >

> > Installer failed to detect mobile broadband device on USB.
> > I suggest that the kernel module called 'option' should have
> > been installed, but it was not.
>
> [...]
>
> > After boot-install I gave the command :
> > echo 'option' >> /etc/modules
> > then rebooted the computer on IDE-0.
> > This seemed to cause it to detect the Huawei correctly
>
> [...]
>
> The module is installed, but cannot be used during installation
> (configuring wireless modems is pretty complex).
>
> Explicitly loading a module should have no effect - if there is
> any device it could work with, that would have caused it to be
> loaded already by udev.  (There are some exceptions, but option is
> not one of them.)
>
> So I don't think this configuration change made the difference.
> Can you send a kernel boot log (/var/log/dmesg) and the output of
> 'lsusb'?
>
> Ben.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E230/E270/E870 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem