Re: Adding New Script Variants on Debian Installer

Quoting Eagle Burkut (eagle.burkut@gmail.com):

> > But, really, ug_US should not happen and I doubt upstream glibc
> > maintainers accept it.
>

> As long as they use different country code, it will work.
>
> ug_CN
> ug_KZ@cyrillic
> ug_US@latin (or ug_XX@latin, XX other than CN or KZ)
>
> For the Latin based Uyghur, United States is the country where it is used
> heavily.

I'm not convinced at all by these arguments. MOreover, I think the
Kurdish example is really plain wrong. And more generally, basing
something related to *languages* on *country* codes (something that is
likely to change over time) is just a deviation from the spirit of
what a local is.

In a locale, the country part represent things that vary from one
country to another (such as the currency name, symbol, postal codes, the way one
writes postal addresses, etc.).

So, using the country code as something to differentiate things that
are *not* related to the countries but more to variations in the
language, is what I would call in French a "détournement" (sorry,
missing the right English word, here).

So, would I be glibc upstream, I would not accept this locale. Not to
mention the "US" part which is, I think, strongly biased or could even
be viewed as politically oriented. I would rather recommend the
approache of Esperanto : use a locale without any country modifier
(the Esperanto locale is "eo" alone), thus ug@latin.