Re: Debian-installer export custom variable

On Wed 19 Dec 2012 at 14:59:15 +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:

> probably summarises the situation best. Would it please be possible to
> consider changing the "auto url=" lines to "auto=true url=" or to accept
> a patch doing so.

Someone should say "no" to this request because, no matter the confusion
that they may have caused, these lines are valid. Section B.2.3. takes
some trouble to describe how shortened urls are expanded if necessary.
This might be seen as a major benefit which "auto=true url=" brings.

So can we look at this from another angle? At

   http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs01.html#preseed-methods

we have

     In order to avoid the questions that would normally appear
     before the preseeding occurs, you can start the installer
     in “auto” mode. This delays questions that would normally
     be asked too early for preseeding . . . .

Now "auto=true url=" is surely “auto” mode? Except using something like

   auto url=file:///mnt/./preseed.cfg

does not delay the locale and keymap questions. This is either a bug in
the documentation or in the preseeding component of d-i.

The same quoted paragraph also has:

     . . . It also runs the installation at critical priority, . .

My testing indicates d-i is running at high priority.