Re: Debian-installer export custom variable

On Thu 13 Dec 2012 at 20:39:17 +0000, Philip Hands wrote:

> P.S. It's about time I updated my d-i stuff for wheezy, so feel free to
> hassle me about things that don't work (patches appreciated :-)

The page at

   http://hands.com/d-i/

is linked to from

   http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs02.html#preseed-auto

Part of http://hands.com/d-i/ has

       The features described depend on a new udeb called
       auto-install, . . . . .

but auto-install is no longer in the archives.

I'm unsure what should replace the present statement but perhaps

       The features described depend on the preseed
       framework and are activated by setting . . . .

would do.

At present there is an disussion on -user about automated installation
and preseeding.

The subthread starts at

One of the issues revolves round the documentation for auto mode in the
Guide. There are lines of the form

   auto url=http://192.168.1.2/path/to/mypreseed.file

and it is felt that "auto" is both unhelpful and misleading and should
be replaced by "auto=true". Considering the whole section is concerned
with an activated auto mode it would lead to a little less head
scratching and consternation when "auto" by itself is found to have no
effect.

probably summarises the situation best. Would it please be possible to
consider changing the "auto url=" lines to "auto=true url=" or to accept
a patch doing so.

Regards,

Brian.