Re: Proposal to add patches to netcfg (#682737)

Hi,

so your patches looked very good, and as Michael already mailed, they
have been merged (but not yet uploaded). I need to try yet another
installation with the desktop task activated, which takes a fair while.
Afterwards it should be uploaded, hit the dailies and hopefully not
be the cause of much breakage. ;-)

I did tweak a couple of things:

* e946cee nm-conf: Use Linux's random/uuid proc entry if available.
* ba5ee42 Write out network-manager configuration files with mode 0600.
* 46208b2 Reword target_network_config template; do not ask the question.
* d2dd5a1 nm-conf: use ESSID as connection name
* 83e9215 test: reactivate test_nc_v6_interface_configured_suite
* 4e1dbbd finish-install: Do not set /etc/network/interfaces to mode 0600.
* 5bfce24 nm-conf: Allow both IPv4 and IPv6 to be activated post-installation.
* 7f9f1d2 nm-conf: Only write out MAC addresses on static configurations.
* c1e4697 Add a changelog entry for the n-m write config changes.

So we need libuuid only on non-Linux platforms (I hope it still compiled
there). As discussed the mode of both n-m config files and /e/n/i was
adjusted to be private to root. The ESSID connection name change is done
because Michael said that n-m's default changed, hence do the same in
netcfg. I longly discussed the MAC write out with Michael and I guess we
reached a sane conclusion here that still allows e.g. images be produced
with one hardware (say KVM) and reused on another one while keeping the
settings and not creating a new connection while still dealing with
multiple NICs. The IPv4/IPv6 change is IPv6 enablement: if IPv6 gets
activated on the network at some point later post-installation the
machine should still take advantage of it instead of ignoring it forever.

Two tiny notes about the coding style:

* You aligned struct members horizontally. That causes diffs to be more
  noisy, makes them more likely to conflict and more lines need to be
  changed when a new member is added.
* You passed the structs in the nm_write_* function by value. Is there
  a reason for this? I presume it's partly due to the fact that
  nm_config_info inlines the structs. Still the structure's parts
  should not be copied when passed to another function, hence pointers
  should be used.

I did not refactor this when basing my changes upon your branch, though.

Lastly thanks for following up on this and your great work. :-)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern