local mirror updates problem

I'm having a problem with updates during a preseeded autoinstallation.  What I'm essentially looking for is the "right way" to provide a local mirror along with a local updates repository to the installer with a preseed file.  I have found little to no documentation on this topic.  It seems straightforward enough after installation, but if I dont point it somewhere else during installation, the installer will complain, and I need it to finish up unattended.

Here are the details of what I have attempted thus far:

I have used apt-mirror to mirror the following repositories:

  deb-amd64 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
  deb-amd64 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main/debian-installer
  deb-amd64 http://security.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

I've then created symlinks to these locations under my wwwroot:

  /var/www/debian -> /repo/apt-mirror/mirror/ftp.us.debian.org/debian
  /var/www/debian-security -> /repo/apt-mirror/mirror/security.debian.org/debian-security

and as such, I have specified the following in the preseed file that I'm using:

  d-i mirror/http/hostname string mirrorserver
  d-i mirror/http/directory string /debian

I've also included the following directives for the security server, but they dont seem to be respected as I would expect:
  d-i apt-setup/security_host string mirrorserver
  d-i apt-setup/security_path string /debian-security

The problem essentially boils down to the fact that the installer seems to be looking for updates at http://mirrorserver/dists/squeeze/updates/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz.  I dont know why it would do that since I have yet to find a situation where a mirror is actually laid out this way.

I even tried adding the following alias in apache to overcome this issue:
  Alias /dists/squeeze/updates /repo/apt-mirror/mirror/security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/squeeze/updates

However, then the installer gives me an error that the "Release file is expired (invalid since 4d 17h ...)", yet I ran apt-mirror this morning.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the actual repo and release file or if it's confused since I sort of combined the two repos in a way that doesn't seem very elegant.  I'm assume that I shouldnt have to combine these repos like this and there must be a way to specify separate paths for updates since I have found no repos that actually have them combined this way.

What is the "right way" to provide both a local package and update repository to the installer?

Thanks,
Paul