Re: partitions - primary vs logical and bootability

On Nov 12, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Charles Blair wrote:

  Thanks again for your help.  After many mis-steps,
most but not all my fault, I seem to have a working
system.

If you succeed in your experiments, one thing you can do to help the
next person is: write-up your experiences.  If you follow the basic
format of the installation manual, I think there might be somebody
here who would be willing to help you to get it into shape to
include as an appendix to the manual.

  I may try to do this, although getting my new machine up and
running completely (installing old softare & files, etc) and
having a life are claiming my time.

  One specific thing: the documentation for AMD64 recommends
/ have a size of 150-250MB.  On my Toshiba desktop, this
resulted in warnings that I had used up available space as soon
as the machine was booted, even though I asked for 350MB.  Perhaps
you might suggest to the installation guide authors that they check
this number.

I'm forwarding this to the debian-boot list. I know there has been some discussion on that list about the appropriate sizes for root in a "modern" installation. I suspect the recommendations in the install guide go back quite a ways -- Sarge or even earlier...

Enjoy!

Rick