Re: Installation-guide cleanup

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 07:22:57AM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:

> Quoting Christian PERRIER (bubulle@debian.org):
>
> > The nightly build of the manual failed last night:
> >
> > openjade:build.tmp.en.s390/install.en.profiled.xml:3242:101:X: reference to non-existent ID "loading-firmware"
> > openjade:build.tmp.en.s390/install.en.profiled.xml:3242:61:X: reference to non-existent ID "hardware-firmware"
> > openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/print/dblink.dsl:200:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'hardware-firmware'
> > openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/print/dblink.dsl:200:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'loading-firmware'

> Indeed, the problem is simple. The "loading-firmware" and
> "hardware-firmware" do not exist on s390, because of:
>
> ./using-d-i/loading-firmware.xml: <sect1 id="loading-firmware" arch="not-s390">
>
> ./hardware/hardware-supported.xml: <sect1 arch="not-s390" id="hardware-firmware">
>

> So, parts that link to these sections should also be irrelevant on s390
> and therefore marked as such.

A similar problem shows up in several po-based translations for
the kfreebsd architectures.  The problem has been fixed in the
english manual, but the translation update procedure described in
manual/doc/translations_po.txt seems not to have been run since
the fix in the english manual.

The translation manual states: "The PO files for your language and
the templates for the manual are updated regularly when there are
changes in the original English XML files.  This is done during
the "daily" builds (currently done by Frans Pop); you should not
have to update your PO files yourself, but rather get the updates
using 'svn up'." If I remember a comment on debian-boot
correctly, the cron job Frans had set up for this probably does
not exist anymore.

Manually running the procedure described there, i.e.

  1. ./scripts/merge_xml en
  2. ./scripts/update_pot
  3. ./scripts/update_po <your language>
  4. ./scripts/revert_pot
  5. ./scripts/create_xml <your language>

for these languages results in a working build.

What is the current official procedure for updating the po-based
translations in the repository when there are changes (like
adding conditionals) in the english text?

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der