Re: Byte queue limits in Linux for wheezy / linux kernel ABI bumps

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 14:06 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sat, Aug  4, 2012 at 13:53:17 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>
> > Now that d-i wheezy beta1 is finally out, I'll try and figure out what
> > exactly breaks in d-i when the linux kernelgets its ABI bumped. Apparently
> > netboot and mini.iso are concerned, but it would be nice to have that
> > checked, and documented.
> >
> AFAIK, all images that download udebs from the archive can break with
> any kernel migration to testing, because they'd get modules newer than
> the kernel (without an ABI bump).

This often works, but is certainly not guaranteed to (we would need a
lot more ABI bumps if we considered added symbols).

A possible solution would be something like:
1. Keep multiple versions of udebs in the same suite (currently possible
for arch:all, but maybe not supported for arch-dependent packages)
2. Make kernel-wedge add versioned dependencies to the udebs
3. Make anna assume that kernel-image is not upgradeable
4. Make anna try older package versions if dependencies can't be reolved
for the newest version

Steps 1 and 4 may be rather hard.

> In case of ABI bumps, where the old udebs go away, these same images
> won't be able to download the modules, so they'll break.

But that seems to be more easily fixed by holding off decrufting.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.