Re: Error:bridge-utils are not installing

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:07:34AM -0700, maheen butt wrote:
> I downloaded ISO image of netinst (Debian squeeze) burnt on cd and installed it
> on 64 bit x86 machine. During installation I skipped package manager configuration. my problem is that aptitude command is
> not working properly.
> whenever I issue the command " aptitude install bridge-utils", its output told me that there is no
> package exist which could be matched with bridge-utils. I've checked its networking. ping is working fine.
> As I'm in LAN, I've configured eth0 properly. But can't understand why I'm not able to install bridge-utils?
> aptitude can not able to access the internet. whenever I want to install something it always says corresponding package
> does not match. I 've attached /etc/apt/source.list. Please check this file. is some thing wrong with it? or do tell me how
> network can be configured in debian?

Your sources.list only contains a single entry (that isn't a comment)
and it is for the CD you installed from.  Most likely that CD does not
contain the bridge-utils package and hence apt does not know about it.
Certianly the netinst does not.

Add a debian mirror to your sources.list and use that instead of the CD.

For example:

# - For debian security
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

# - For debian main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free

Skipping the apt config when doing a netinstall is not a valid option.
Why would you even consider skipping that?  It makes no sense.

--
Len Sorensen