Re: Tracker for debian-wheezy-DI-a1-amd64-DVD-1.iso?

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 01:07:01AM +1000, Jordan Clarke wrote:
> Hello!
> Last night I downloaded the Debian Installer 7.0 Alpha1 DVD via http,
> after being unable to download it via BitTorrent.  Upon completing the
> download, I tried to seed the iso, but KTorrent was unable to contact
> a tracker.  Is this a known issue?  I'm feeling somewhat eager to use
> a little of my broadband account usage to take a bit of a load off
> Debian's servers.  ;)

It is much better for the infrastructure if you just don't use bittorrent.

http://ols.fedoraproject.org/OLS/Reprints-2008/hawley-reprint.pdf was
an excellent paper a few years ago explaining why.

The debian mirrors have lots of bandwidth.  Now if you want to be nice,
use jigdo to download the iso, since most debian mirrors don't carry
the actual .iso files, but everyone has the packages.

--
Len Sorensen