Re: Bootloader udeb selection for specific platform

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 3 May 2012 20:36:21 -0500
> Von: "Félix Arreola Rodríguez" <fgatuno.123@gmail.com>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@gmx.net>
> CC: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Bootloader udeb selection for specific platform

> Another suggest is that, the boot loaders udebs, provide the virtual
> udeb package "bootable-system"
>
> Your udeb must install the boot loader, and when the udeb is done, the
> main-menu will choose finish-install automatically.
Okay, but I guess this will not be sufficient to tell d-i that it should
use _exactly_ my bootloader udeb package during the installation, as
almost every bootloader in d-i defines "bootable-system" in its control
file. Would the "Architecture" and especially the "XB-Subarchitecture"
field help here?

> 2012/5/3 Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>:
> > Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm looking into building a custom Debian install CD for a
> >> non-supported PowerPC platform. The platform doesn't work with any
> >> of the available bootloaders in Debian. Therefore I would like to
> >> create my own bootloader udeb package. While I can use one of the
> >> available bootloader udebs as a base for my work, I didn't find out
> >> yet how the installer selects the right bootloader for a platform
> >> (it seems to load several bootloader udebs during an installation).
> >> Is this done by preseeding (though I could only find preseeding
> >> options for grub and lilo) or by some check of the
> >> architecture/platform string in /etc/cpuinfo?
> >
> > This is usually done with isinstallable scripts in the udebs's
> > control.tar.gz.
Ah, I see. Though there are bootloaders udebs that don't check for any
platform i.e. subarchitecture in its isinstallable file (for example yaboot). And then there's grub, which also works on powerpc/chrp
machines. This way d-i could still choose between two bootloaders
for this platform. I suppose there must be an additional priority
scheme, which tells d-i to use a specific bootloader udeb. Does this
have something to do with the "XB-Installer-Menu-Item:" field in the
control field?

Thanks for your help!

regards,
Gerhard