Re: building gnupg-udeb with enable-minimal

Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> GnuPG has for a while now the configure switch --enable-minimal, which builds
> a gnupg with as few options enabled as possible. I was wondering if using this
> configure switch for the gnupg-udeb would make sense for you - I remember that
> size was an issue, not sure if that's still a relevant concern. I tried to
> rebuild gnupg-udeb with --enable-minimal, and that reduces the size from 817K
> to 568K; so not dramatic but still significant. I didn't really test it
> though, so it may be that the installer actually needs more options than this.
>
> So my question to you is: would a size saving in this order be a significant
> improvement for the installer? If so, what minimum functionality would be
> required from gnupg-udeb? I can then explore this further, but would like to
> be sure that it would be actually useful.
>
> BTW, gpgv is already a minimal tool, so the switch has no relevant effect
> there.

gnupg-udeb is only used by partman-crypto-loop, which uses it to
generate a symmetric key file as follows:

gpg --batch --no-options --no-random-seed-file --no-default-keyring \
	--keyring /dev/null --passphrase-fd 3 --symmetric -a

Reducing the size of this part of the installer saves space on the
netinst and busnesscard CDs, so is desirable. If gpg had a
--disable-public-key-crypto, I'd say build it with that. ;)

--
see shy jo