Re: [debsec@irush.su: Rescue mode]

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 05:27:16PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> More likely to get a useful answer from the d-i team.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Rush <debsec@irush.su> -----
>
> From: Rush <debsec@irush.su>
> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 14:11:13 +0400
> To: debian-cd@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Rescue mode
>
> Hi all,
>
> Sometimes rescue mode from install cd's is very useful feature. But there are too many annoying questions before launching it (such as my current location, time zone, etc). Seems it would be much better to skip such questions at all by default, cause in rescue mode you need just to fix smth in your machine as soon as possible.
>
> Is there any chance, that these questions will be removed from rescue mode launching in future?

My understanding is that the questions asked are done in order of some
"priority".  Since the normal install needs to ask certain questions
before detecting the disk and installing packages, those same questions
get asked before detecting disks and letting you choose where to attempt
to do a rescue.

Now it used to be it would ask for root and user passwords before you
could do rescue, and that was changed, so there is at least some hope
that it could be changed.  It is better than it used to be, but it could
perhaps get even better.

I think the location question is related to the keyboard quesion, so
that isn't optional, but perhaps the timezone isn't necesary for rescue
mode.

--
Len Sorensen