preseed doesn't overwrite existing lvm partitioning

I could have sworn I had tested this previously, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I have a preseed configured and it will install on virgin hardware without problem. But if I run the same install procedure for a second time on the same machine, I keep getting no root partition errors from the partitioner.

My testing is all in virtualbox, so figured must be something on the disk like lvm metadata or something. As I can delete the virtual disk, create a new one and the install goes off again without a hitch for the first install only.

I have a sinking feeling I may have caused this myself :( I tried consolidating several of our different preseed setups (softraid no lvm, hw raid 5 with lvm etc) and to try and chainload a core preseed file with the generic options, then specify the model specific preseed options in it's own file. So I thought I threw the kitchen sink at d-i with the preseed commands to handle the partitioning, but clearly it's not working for me. But like I said, not sure if it ever worked for myself :) (note to self, must use cvs for this stuff....)

Here is my partitioning section from my preseed file. I'm sure the recipe won't format very nicely in the message. But the sizes are off as I'm only testing inside of a vm right now. Again, partitioning works fine the first time through, so I'm pretty sure the recipe itself is ok, just the confirm bits afterwards.

### Partitioning

d-i partman-auto/method string lvm

d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/sda

d-i partman-auto-lvm/new_vg_name string vg00

d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe string \

boot-root :: \

40 300 300 ext3 $primary{ } $bootable{ } method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /boot } . \

1000 1000 1000 ext3 method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ / } . \

100 100 100 ext3 method{ format } format{ } $lvmok{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /home } . \

500 500 500 ext3 method{ format } format{ } $lvmok{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /var } . \

1000 1000 1000 ext3 method{ format } format{ } $lvmok{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /usr } . \

400 400 400 ext3 method{ format } format{ } $lvmok{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /tmp } . \

100 100 100 linux-swap $lvmok{ } method{ swap } format{ } . \

100 100 100 ext3 method{ format } format{ } $lvmok{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /var/opt } . \

200 1000 11000000 ext3 method{ format } format{ } $lvmok{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /var/extra } .

# # # This makes partman automatically partition without confirmation.

d-i partman-partitioning/confirm_write_new_label boolean true

d-i partman/choose_partition select finish

d-i partman/confirm boolean true

d-i partman/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true

d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true

d-i partman-lvm/confirm boolean true

d-i partman-lvm/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true

d-i partman-lvm/device_remove_lvm true

d-i partman-md/confirm boolean true

d-i partman-md/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true

d-i partman-md/device_remove_md boolean true

Oh, and while I may have someone's attention, is there a way to set the lv name of each partition in the recipe? I've seen it referenced one time in a web page, but never did find any documentation about it and figured someone had just hacked up partman for their own sake.

--

Ryan Braun

Aviation and Defence Services Division

Chief Information Officer Branch, Environment Canada

CIV: 204-833-2500x2625 CSN: 257-2625 FAX: 204-833-2558

E-Mail: Ryan.Braun@ec.gc.ca