Re: Adding New Script Variants on Debian Installer

Quoting Eagle Burkut (eagle.burkut@gmail.com):

> While we have finished translating more than 95% translation string in
> Ubuntu (that is 350,000 sentences!), due to lots of bugs and inabilities in
> various libraries/packages/fonts, we got a localized Ubuntu with lots of
> bugs/errors. In summary, the original Ubuntu has problems, bugs in every
> aspect of

Hmmm, all what I like in Ubuntu l10n infrastructure: even upstream
software is translated through Rosetta/Launchpad and nobody has any
idea about the translations ending up in upstream software. In short:
they don't benefit anything but Ubuntu users. VERY sad.

Why wouldn't Fedora users be able to use Libreoffice, Firefox, Gimp,
etc, in Uyghur?

Anyway...let's just hope that Ubuntu/Canonical jave a magic system for
making this happening...but I would be surprised.

> (1) Right-to-Left support
> (2) Bi-Directional support
> (3) Font selection
> (4) Proper fonts
>
> Thus, even with hundreds of translator spending couple of years of hard
> work, we still ended up not so good localized Ubuntu.
>
> If we utilize Latin based Uyghur, all of the above problems will disappear
> immediately. That is why we are thinking about adding Latin based Uyghur to
> Ubuntu, including the Debian Installer.

Then why not work on these problems  rather than circumventing with
hacks?

> As Uyghur is written in modified Arabic-Persian in China, in Cyrillic in
> Kazakhstan and central Asia, and in Latin elsewhere globally, we previously
> had ug_CN locale in Arabic, and we have just developed ug_US locale in
> Latin and submitted it to upstream glibc library, and more, we are planning
> to develop ug_KZ locale in Cyrillic in near future.

I'm afraid, this is an incorrect use of locales.

Country modifiers shouldn't be used for language variants. So a ug_US
locale means nothing (Uyghur in United States of America? Why not
ug_UK or ug_PT or whatever?).

The correct locale for "Uyghur written in latin script" should be
"ug_CN@latin" (and eventually ug_XX@latin, in case Uyghur is widely
used in another country than "China", such as Kazakhstan, for
instance.

And, in case Uyghur is also written in Cyrillic, as you seem to imply,
then the right locale would be ug_XX@cyrillic, where XX is the country
where the cyrillic variant is the most widely used .....I guess KZ,
then

I would strongly advise against using ug_KZ to denote "Uyghur written
in cyrillic ". It should be kept for "Uyghur written in Arabic script,
in Kazakhstan" (and if that means nothing as Uyghur is never written
in arabic script in KZ, then don't create the locale but create
ug_KZ@cyrillic).

But, really, ug_US should not happen and I doubt upstream glibc
maintainers accept it.