Re: preseeding vs lvm

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:49:07 +0100, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
> Patryk Ściborek <patryk@sciborek.com> writes:
>
> > But to my surprise it creates much bigger PV than I want:
> > [...]
> > And LV root takes all available space:
>
> Last time I checked it was impossible to preseed an LVM setup where not
> all the space was allocated.  I had to resort to custom scripts invoked
> by custom partman menu items to achieve this.

I was under the impression that one could sepcify a 'keep' partition to
leave space unallocated, as seen here:

  http://hands.com/d-i/squeeze/classes/partition/lvm-spare/preseed

I'm pretty sure I've used that for real deployments (please tell me if
you think it doesn't work).

Obviously you'll want to waeve those snippets into your own scripts,
unless you also adopt the superstruture in the ditrectories above.

Also, I'm surprised that I couldn't instantly find the relevant docs.
We should probably fix this.  We still seem to have references to the
old home in svn in the manual, whereas we probably ought to be pointing
at somewhere like:

  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-installer.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/devel/partman-auto-recipe.txt;hb=HEAD

(not that that makes it clear that keep works with LVM, but it doesn't
say it doesn't)

Cheers, Phil.