Difference between gtk and text hd-media kernels?

I'm trying to boot the Squeeze CD1 iso from a USB drive using the hd-media installer. I used the isolinux config files from the CD1 iso to present an installation menu to the user using syslinux. What I noticed was that the gtk config files, e.g. gtk.cfg, has the following line -
    kernel /install.386/vmlinuz

For booting the hd-media gtk kernel, however, I had to change it to (otherwise the installation would freeze) -
    kernel /install.386/gtk/vmlinuz

I know the vmlinuzes in the CD iso are the same for both the text-based and graphical installer, but shouldn't the *gtk.cfg files still point to the vmlinuz in the gtk/ directory? [Possible bug]

Also, what is the difference between the gtk and regular vmlinuzes in the hd-media installer?