Re: d-i customization

Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
> I'd like to modify d-i for my own need: install debian with partition on
> an AOE device.
> If you're not aware of what AOE is, let's say it's network block device
> technology that relies on ethernet (not tcp/ip).
> In short, to use such device we should have to load a kernel module and
> run few commands to stat the devices eventually after having specified
> the network interfaces the tools should look for aoe devices.
>
> I have read few docs from debian alioth about customizing installers
> images, but before beginning, I'd like to collect more
> advices/informations from people that know d-i.
>
> If I understood correctly I would have to create a udeb package of the
> aoetools and assigne a menu item number to have an entry displayed in by
> main-menu right?

I think that's basically right, although whether a menu item is the best
way to enable it remains to be seen.

> Then first questions:
>
> - As recommended in the doc I ask here for a such a number that would
> allow to have aoe devices detected after all ethernet card are installed
> and before partman is launched.

I suggest you use 3500, and also make your package depend on both
configured-network and harddrive-detection.
This will make it run after all physical hard drives are
known and perhaps you can use that info.

> - How do I make sure d-i will install the newly created udeb package?
> Maybe loading aoetools in d-i should be based on user's decision... how
> to do this?

Possibly.. is there anyway to detect an AOE network is available w/o
user input? If so, hw-detect could just do that, and then
"anna-install aoetools"

> For my setup to work after install, I will need target system to have
> aoetools automatically installed. I wanted to achieve this useing an
> "apt-install" request as a post-install script of aoetools udeb... Does
> it sounds right? Is there a better way?

It might be better to leave the apt-install aoetools in whatever component
decides to use AOE and loads the aeotools-udeb.

> Finnaly the setup I trying to complete (AOEroot), will require a
> modified initrd on the target system too... I suspect this being out of
> the scope of the d-i, but being more related to the regular debian
> package aoetools. Agree? I remember multipath-tools once had a package
> named multipath-tools-boot (or something like that) which added support
> for multipath devices to the initrd. Is this approach still valuable?

Yes, initramfs-tools has a hook system that a package<F11> should be able to use.

--
see shy jo