d-i customization

Hi,

I'd like to modify d-i for my own need: install debian with partition on
an AOE device.
If you're not aware of what AOE is, let's say it's network block device
technology that relies on ethernet (not tcp/ip).
In short, to use such device we should have to load a kernel module and
run few commands to stat the devices eventually after having specified
the network interfaces the tools should look for aoe devices.

I have read few docs from debian alioth about customizing installers
images, but before beginning, I'd like to collect more
advices/informations from people that know d-i.

If I understood correctly I would have to create a udeb package of the
aoetools and assigne a menu item number to have an entry displayed in by
main-menu right?

Then first questions:

- As recommended in the doc I ask here for a such a number that would
allow to have aoe devices detected after all ethernet card are installed
and before partman is launched.

- How do I make sure d-i will install the newly created udeb package?
Maybe loading aoetools in d-i should be based on user's decision... how
to do this?

For my setup to work after install, I will need target system to have
aoetools automatically installed. I wanted to achieve this useing an
"apt-install" request as a post-install script of aoetools udeb... Does
it sounds right? Is there a better way?

Finnaly the setup I trying to complete (AOEroot), will require a
modified initrd on the target system too... I suspect this being out of
the scope of the d-i, but being more related to the regular debian
package aoetools. Agree? I remember multipath-tools once had a package
named multipath-tools-boot (or something like that) which added support
for multipath devices to the initrd. Is this approach still valuable?

Best regards.

--
horoa: la voie est libre