Re: Recurrent "old builds" for D-I

Excerpts from Gaudenz Steinlin's message of Don Jan 06 23:50:50 +0100 2011:
> Excerpts from Christian PERRIER's message of Don Jan 06 07:01:07 +0100 2011:
> > Quoting Daily build aggregator (debian-boot@lists.debian.org):
> > > Debian installer build overview
> > > -------------------------------
> > >
> > > Failed or old builds:
> > >
> > > * OLD BUILD:    mipsel Dec 09 00:12 buildd@rem build_cobalt_netboot-2.6_serial
> > >                 http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/mipsel/daily/build_cobalt_netboot-2.6_serial.log
> >
> > > * OLD BUILD:    s390 Dec 19 00:03 buildd@zandonai build_generic
> > >                 http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/s390/daily/build_generic.log
> >

> > > * OLD BUILD:    sparc Jul 12 11:08 stappers@dd build_netboot
> > >                 http://people.debian.org/~stappers/d-i/sparc/daily/build_netboot.log
> >

> > So, we still have these three arches where builds are broken for quite
> > some time.
> >
> > Apparently s390 failures are fairly recent but were probably unnoticed
> > because the recurrent sparc failures made everybody ignore the daily
> > failure mails.
>
> I was aware of them but wanted to wait a bit more to see if they are
> transient or not before pinging the buildd maintainers. And then
> christmas and new year vacations interfered with this plan. I'll ping
> them in the next days.

s390 seems to be fixed now.

> > mipsel failures happen since Dec09. Gaudenz pinged the mipsel porters
> > list but got no answer (at least none that I can see):

> > Hi mipsel buildd maintainers
> >
> > Since 12/09 the debian-installer daily images for mipsel are no longer
> > autobuilt (at least there are no new builds pushed to d-i.debian.org).
> > The builds used to be built on rem.
> >
> > See http://lists.debian.org/20100331165134.GA19557@mails.so.argh.org
> > for more information on how the d-i daily images building on the
> > autobuilders works.
> >
> > It would be nice if you could investigate this and report back if
> > there is a problem that needs our (debian-boot) help to fix.
>
> I got an answer that rem is currently moved to a new hosting location
> and added a not to the stats webpage. Probybly these notes should also
> be included in the mails.

I changed the script now to include the notes and to not include any
details about old builds if there is a note for this architecture.

> > And sparc failures are a longstanding issue as they are apparently
> > built in a broken environment by Geert:

> > Ping!
> >
> > Two more weeks and no answer from either Geert or the SPARC buildd
> > maintainers. I'm CCing this to debian-sparc in the hope to at least
> > get some status update.
> >
> > IMHO the best solution would be to adopt the same setup as on most
> > other architectures: To build the d-i daily images on a buildd. See
> > below for more information on the setup.
> >
> > If I don't get an answer by the end of the year I'll add a note to the
> > daily images overview[1] and possibly similar pages that currently no
> > sparc images can be provided until some steps in to do the necessary
> > work.
> >

> I got one reply that the first mails had been overlooked and the
> person said to be on semi-VAC currently. After that the conversation
> died off. I don't think Geert is interested anymore and this build
> should be moved to a sparc buildd. As there is apparently also not
> enough interest by sparc buildd maintainers I'm inclined to just turn
> off these builds until there is more interest.
>
> I would be willing to setup a build on a buildd myself, but earlier
> conversation about giving the d-i team more access to these buildds
> gave me the impression that this is not possible (or at least very
> hard).

I now added a note and sent a last ping to the sparc porter and buildd
admin lists. I won't bother about sparc anymore until either someone
shows interest in setting up a build or someone provides me with the
necessary access.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.