Re: Proposal: convert all udebs to xz compression

Otavio,

am Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 04:55:12PM -0200 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 23:14, Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 13:26, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> >> So my proposal is to switch the udeb compression default in dpkg to xz
> >> for wheezy, when the busybox and udpkg changes have landed.  Then most
> >> udebs will get a translation upload anyway, if not they can be binNMUed
> >> to pick up the right compression.
> > From my side you have a "go ahead" but I'd like to hear from Colin and
> > Joey if they can think about any con about doing it.
> What is the current status of it?

blocked on inconclusive feedback of the dpkg devs on using the extreme variant
of xz (see #647915).  We could start with -z0 of course, which would be
supported by dpkg-dev and hence a trivial patch of debhelper would do.
But it doesn't gain that much.

In other news I didn't yet upload the udpkg change because I waited for a
busybox upload to incorporate the already committed unxz inclusion.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager