Re: 5% of blocks for root more than necessary?

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 09:03:15PM +0300, Vesa Paatero wrote:
> When the Debian installer creates a file system, it reserves 5% of
> blocks for root or privileged processes. That's an old default
> percentage which could be replaced by a more appropriate amount.
>
> The optimal amount to reserve is probably neither a fixed number of
> blocks nor a fixed percentage, but a good estimation for it could be
> calculated in the installation script and set e.g. by tune2fs after
> the creation of an ext2/3/4 partition.
>
> I don't know very much about the processes of Debian development...
> so, should I make an entry about this to a bug database or
> somewhere?

Well it is the default of mkfs.ext[234].  I think if this should be
changed it would be by asking the maintainer of the mkfs tool for ext2/3/4
about it.  Should Debian start overriding the filesystem maintainers
defauls in the installer if the user didn't explicitly request it?

Besides given what tends to happen to filesystem performance when you
pass about 90% full, having that 5% off limit to non root might actually
be a good thing.  You don't want to be using that 5% anyhow.

--
Len Sorensen