Re: warn users if they try to install desktop with CD1 and no network?

Joey Hess wrote:
>Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
>> After
>>
>> sudo apt-get install pm-utils
>> sudo reboot
>>
>> the menu option is visible and works.
>
>AFAIKS, in unstable, gnome-core depends gnome-power-manager
>depends upower depends pm-utils. Probably this was fixed since squeeze.
>
>> > However, this is not displayed if you explicitly choose not to configure
>> > the network.
>>
>> I think in my case network setup was failing since d-i didn't support
>> WPA2 at that time and I just skipped the network setup part. It took me
>> a few days to notice and realize why my installation was so crippled :-)
>
>I've changed apt-setup to show the message when no network is
>configured. However, since the full CD is intended to produce usable
>systems when used that way, the warning remains a bit tame and probably
>easy to miss.

To be honest, I think that we're well past the point where CD#1 alone
is likely to be useful for either Gnome or KDE. I think it's time that
we admitted that and made it clear...

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead