Re: libc6: broken LANGUAGE design

On 2011-07-07 19:30:38 -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > My settings come from the installation. /etc/default/locale was:
> >
> > #  File generated by update-locale
> > #LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> > LANGUAGE="en_US:en"
> >
> > (I only added a LC_TIME=en_DK since, hoping it would be taken into
> > account for the time displayed by gdm).
> >
> > FYI, I installed the machine on 2010-01-04.
>
> Now I'm confused again.  That particular LANGUAGE setting is (I hope)
> redundant next to LANG, so it should not have been set, right?  That
> is supposed to have been fixed in localechooser 1.07 (2006-03-26):
>
>    * Only use LANGUAGELIST list of languages when really needed, ie
>      when a language needs and benefits from something else than English.
>      Should avoid reports like #356997.

Could it be due to the following?

   * Prefer official language variants by adding the combination of selected
     language and country to the front on the language list (closes: #560045).
     If a preferred locale was selected, instead add the language and country
     combination from that to the languagelist as it will most likely also
     indicate the preferred language variant.

(on 23 Dec 2009).