Re: Needed input from Australian users and developers:; choosing timezones for Australia in D-I

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:18:04AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> I agree with the other Australians in the thread; the east-coast
> timezones are currently all the same but might not be in the future so
> we shouldn't rely on them being the same and we should allow selection
> of Australia/Sydney vs Australia/Melbourne.
>
> I would suggest doing what Ubuntu do for timezone & locale selection;
> have a geographical map that you click on that picks you a timezone
> and probable locale bits. It could even zoom in to a specific region
> for selection of those weird timezones like Eyre Highway. Obviously
> this would only work for g-i not the text-based installer. The
> text-based installer could use the GNOME strategy of providing a
> search box to input your city/country and a list of possibly
> corresponding timezones/locales.

Then you have to maintain geographical coordinates for all those
regions.  And then you can get this sort of problem:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2003/08/22/54679.aspx

This may not apply to selection of cities, but then if one can only
select a city then it's not much of an improvement over the current
list.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings