Re: GeoMirror (aka cdn.debian.net) as default mirror in standard installation?

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:10:13PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> sure, but first you talk about having 50 machines and a local mirror and then
> about the typical user.  Meh.

We expect users to setup their own machines.  The IT department really
only deals with Windows.

Having a local copy of a mirror saves bandwidth and install/upgrade time.
This does not mean we install machines in batch mode.  Far from it.
They are just one at a time as new people are hired.

I tried using cdn.debian.net as my mirror at home yesterday.  That was
certainly to slow compared to using a mirror I pick myself, at least at
that time.  It's hard to beat mirrors.kernel.org for bandwidth in many
places even if it isn't technically close.

--
Len Sorensen