Re: Fw: Re: Starting Debian installer from Grub2 on Flash

Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> writes:

> [Forwarded from Debian-arm list to somewherre where the answers might
> be better known. ]

Please forward this back if it's really arm-related.

> From: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpoure@gooze.eu>
> Subject: Re: Starting Debian installer from Grub2 on Flash
> To: debian-embedded@lists.debian.org
> Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 03:12:39 +0100
>
> Le lundi 28 février 2011 à 23:02 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE a
> écrit :
>
>> Can Debian installer be started and installed on the same CF Flash?
>> We would like users to be able to make their own installation using
>> Debian installer and network. Therefore a minimal installer should
>> reside on CF. A "bonus" would be the installer being recognized by
>> Grub2 and proposed as a rescue boot.
>
> I followed instructions from the Debian installer hd-media.
> This is an ALIX 2D13 board with serial console.
>
> So I modified sys.conf to boot from console (ok).
> Then I modified the image bootloader with serial console support (ok).
>
> Now the CD net-install image boots but does not recognize the flash
> drive.
>
> I am aware that PXE installation works. But we would like to offer users
> and installer on FLASH to ease installation.

I'd recommend trying the netboot (not netinst!) image: download its
linux kernel and initrd.gz from eg.
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/
(or alternatively download netboot.tar.gz from two levels higher and
extract them from it), and configure Grub2 to load those.  Then you'll
get the equivalent of a PXE installation, but started from flash.
--
Regards,
Feri.