Re: Fw: Re: Starting Debian installer from Grub2 on Flash

Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> writes:

> [Forwarded from Debian-arm list to somewherre where the answers might
> be better known. ]

Please forward this back if it's really arm-related.

> From: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpoure@gooze.eu>
> Subject: Re: Starting Debian installer from Grub2 on Flash
> To: debian-embedded@lists.debian.org
> Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 03:12:39 +0100
> Le lundi 28 février 2011 à 23:02 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE a
> écrit :
>> Can Debian installer be started and installed on the same CF Flash?
>> We would like users to be able to make their own installation using
>> Debian installer and network. Therefore a minimal installer should
>> reside on CF. A "bonus" would be the installer being recognized by
>> Grub2 and proposed as a rescue boot.
> I followed instructions from the Debian installer hd-media.
> This is an ALIX 2D13 board with serial console.
> So I modified sys.conf to boot from console (ok).
> Then I modified the image bootloader with serial console support (ok).
> Now the CD net-install image boots but does not recognize the flash
> drive.
> I am aware that PXE installation works. But we would like to offer users
> and installer on FLASH to ease installation.

I'd recommend trying the netboot (not netinst!) image: download its
linux kernel and initrd.gz from eg.
(or alternatively download netboot.tar.gz from two levels higher and
extract them from it), and configure Grub2 to load those.  Then you'll
get the equivalent of a PXE installation, but started from flash.