Re: Testers needed: WPA support in D-I

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 06:53:18AM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Matthew Palmer (mpalmer@debian.org):
> > The problem is, I don't have a WPA network to test on.  I don't know the
> > first thing about how to set one up, and frankly I don't really care to
> > learn.  Hence, why testers are needed.
>
> I think you'll have hard times if you don't have anything to play with
> and debug. You explained in your blog how to debug C programs in
> D-I: that is clearly non trivial so, if things aren't working as
> expected (see Samuel and Ben feedback), I fail to see how you'll
> easily investigate this.

I actually wasn't planning on doing too much investigation.  I was probably
being too subtle in my original message, but my intention was to act as
merge/QA, build and distribute test images, and collate test results.
Actual coding changes I was planning on leaving to people who cared more
about WPA support.

Honestly, I didn't expect things to go as badly as they have.  Only one
successful report, and a whole bunchteen failures.  Surprising for something
that was reported as "working well" a couple of years ago.

> Isn't there a way for you to put your hands on a cheap wireless
> router? There is nearly nothing to learn about when it comes at
> setting up these beasts (at least for basic setup).I even managed to
> setup mine at home..:-). They're meant for basic Windows users,
> remember..:)

Hey now, play nice.

It's not that I *couldn't* go out and buy a cheap WPA-capable AP, it's that
I just don't want to.  I only care about WPA support in netcfg in as much as
it seems to be something that a number of people want, and there is/was a
patch for it.  It doesn't benefit me, now or in the foreseeable future, to
have it, so I'm not inclined to commit myself to it any more heavily than I
already have.  Things that require me to unnecessarily spend money are
orders of magnitude less desirable again.

- Matt