Re: Creation of a USB-boot img for Squeeze

Le vendredi 21 janvier 2011 à 12:34 -0400, Ben Armstrong a écrit :
> On 01/21/2011 11:35 AM, Christophe Schockaert wrote:
> > So, I followed what's here for a network install:
> > http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html
>
> Following "4.3.1. Copying the files — the easy way", I assume? Please
> indicate the URLs used for download of boot.img.gz and the iso. If you
> used the correct files and followed this doc, this should work.
Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply.
So, I am sorry, I forgot to mention it, I followed "4.3.2 The flexible way".

On this page, I followed http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ :
"The following images are available for squeeze RC1:
[...]
* other images (netboot, USB stick, etc) [...] i386"
Which brings me to that URL :
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/current/images/

However, I think the wrong choice was to select "netboot" (instead of
"netinst") as shows my reply to your comment below...

> > So, I thought the problem was a missing image.
> > When I read the footer [8]
> > "http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html#ftn.id318743";
> > and a few other docs, I understood that for a netboot install,
>
> Please don't confuse "netboot" with "netinst". The former boots an image
> from a properly configured server (usually located on your LAN).
Actually, I understood the difference between both methods.
However, I had the impression that the "netboot" image could be used to
set up a very minimalistic system for a network install. And that it
could be done on a USB stick.

I was comforted in my choice when reading the following sentence (in
particular what's between parenthesis):
"Next you should create a syslinux.cfg configuration file, which at a
bare minimum should contain the following two lines (change the name of
the kernel binary to “linux” if you used a netboot image)"

So, I understood I could create a USB stick from a "netboot" image.
I thought it was different from the "netboot" method in the sense, that
imagined the purpose of the "netboot" method was to boot directly from
the BIOS on the network, then to fetch the "netboot" image served by
another computer... Isn't it that way ?

[...]
Yes, that's why I wrote "anyway", but I read that "http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/Debian_USB_install_from_hybrid_iso/";, and I was tempted to try.

> > I also tried the businesscard.iso, but it didn't brought me any further.
>
> I suspect you may have used the wrong files, but without any indication
> of which precise files you used, I can't tell.
>
> Ben

Probably...
Actually, I performed that series of actions:
# mkdosfs /dev/sdX1
# syslinux /dev/sdX1
Then I copied the following files (with cp -rp) from
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/gtk/debian-installer/i386/ :
initrd.gz
linux
#  install-mbr /dev/sdX

After the kernel panic, I tried with the iso card that I fetched from
here :
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_rc1/i386/iso-cd/debian-sq-di-rc1-i386-businesscard.iso

I used "cp -rp" to bring it on the stick after the mkdosfs and syslinux.

So, now I understand that I am not allowed to mix the **netboot**
"initrd.gz" with the business-card iso image.

I guess that if I use the "netinst" or "business-card" install, I'll be
able to achieve the installation. I'll make you know.

However, do you really confirm that it's not possible to use the
**netboot** (and not "netinst") image as a minimalistic system to
perform a network installation from a USB stick ?

Bye, and thank you again,

Christophe

--
Once it's perfectly aimed, the flying arrow goes straight to its target.
Thus, don't worry when things go right.
There will be enough time to worry about if they go wrong.
Then, it's time to fire a new arrow towards another direction.
Don't sink.  Adapt yourself !  The archer has to shoot accurately and
quickly.
[Words of Erenthar, the bowman ranger] <---------------<<<<