Creation of a USB-boot img for Squeeze

Hi all,

I am a recent newcomer on this list...

I am trying to start the new RC1 debian-installer
(http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110113) to install Debian on an Asus
netbook from a USB stick.

I could perform a successfull install with Ubuntu and Trisquel through
USB, but I am trying to do it (one of) the (many) Debian way(s).

So, I followed what's here for a network install:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html

I end up with the following files on the USB-stick:
* initrd.gz
* ldlinux.sys
* linuz
* syslinux.cfg which contains (I selected the graphic installer):
default linux
initrd=initrd.gz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788

First, at boot, I have a message saying "Unknown keyword in
configuration file"....

When I remove the "video" option, I get "Missing parameter in
configuration file."

In either case, the boot process starts, but stops shortly (about 2
screens scrolling) with a kernel panic:
[   ] List of all partitions:
[   ] No filesystem could mount root, tried:
[   ] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown block(253,0)

So, I thought the problem was a missing image.
When I read the footer [8]
"http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html#ftn.id318743";
and a few other docs, I understood that for a netboot install, I didn't
need any other additional image than initrd.gz.

In doubt, I tried the "mini.iso" from netboot anyway.
I also tried the businesscard.iso, but it didn't brought me any further.

So, I am heading forward to you to know if I missed something somewhere
in the process...

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Christophe S.

--
Once it's perfectly aimed, the flying arrow goes straight to its target.
Thus, don't worry when things go right.
There will be enough time to worry about if they go wrong.
Then, it's time to fire a new arrow towards another direction.
Don't sink.  Adapt yourself !  The archer has to shoot accurately and
quickly.
[Words of Erenthar, the bowman ranger] <---------------<<<<