Re: Debian Installer 6.0 Release Candidate 1 release

Quoting Cyril Brulebois (kibi@debian.org):
> Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> (13/01/2011):
> > Curious about this point: if you select one of the languages with
> > incomplete translation, which language gets selected for the missing
> > pieces?  Can the user choose what that secondary language will be?
>
> From gettext's manual: “Note that when a translation is missing, the
> msgid argument is returned unchanged.”
>
> If you're not familiar with gettext, po files are per-language bunch
> of msgid/msgstr pairs, with msgid being usually in English. I don't
> know of a fallback mechanism to try and get the missing translations
> from another language.

There's one: the LANGUAGE variable. This is used in D-I for very few
languages. The most noticeable case are Northern Sami, Norwegian
Bokmal and Norwegian Nynorsk:

Northern Sami fallsback successively to:
 - Norwegian Bokmal
 - Norwegian Nynorsk
 - Danish
 - Swedish

Bokmal fallsback to Nynorsk, then Danish, then Swedish

Nynorsk fallsback to Bokmal, then Danish then Swedish

This is based on an advice by Norwegian translators who think that a
mix of these languages is acceptable.

You can "easily" test this by choosing Northern Sami. The country
choice screen will be in Norwegian, then later screens will either be
in Sami or in Norwegian (Sami can be recognized by the presence of "a
acute" or "c caron" letters that aren't in Norwegian Bokmal where
screens look like the trailer of Monthy Python's Holy Grail...:-))

Among disabled languages, there are other cases where fallback is
French: Malagasy and Wolof

In the past, we had other cases that seemed to be a good idea but
turned out to be sensitive: Ukrainian was falling back to Russian, for
instance....and we've been told that Ukrainian people aren't
enthusiast about that..:-)