Re: Switching g-i from DirectFB to X11 -- console-setup

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:22:54 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> I was somewhat surprised to see x11-xkb-utils-udeb and especially the very
> large xkb-data-udeb. Isn't there an overlap with the console-setup udebs?
> If there is, it would be good to get rid of that overlap.

There is.  The choices offered by console-setup-udeb are scrubbed from
xkb-data's /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml, and the translations from
/usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/xkeyboard-config.mo.  Those should
be excluded from xkb-data-udeb.  Also IIRC console-setup-udeb includes
some pre-built keymaps which are generated from data in
/usr/share/X11/xkb.  This is necessary to change the keymap for non-X
installs, where xkb-data is not present, but if xkb-data is available
then these keymaps can be generated at runtime by ckbcomp/setupcon
(although I'm not sure ckbcomp-mini can do it; Anton?).  So I think
console-setup-udeb could be split so that the pre-built keymaps are in a
separate udeb that's only included on non-graphical images (if/when
those switch to c-s).

Cheers,
Julien