Re: Thai support in framebuffer d-i

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
>> For sure, I've tried it again by choosing to run a shell under d-i
>> environment (BusyBox), then mount my /home partition and
>> cat some Thai text files. And it works.
>
> So you only mounted /home? You did not first chroot into the root of the
> installed system?

Yep. In the rescue mode, I chose to execute the shell in d-i environment,
not to mount any partition. Then, I manually mounted the /home partition
in BusyBox shell.

> In that case, please send:
> - a text file containing missing characters (in UTF-8 encoding) that are
>  relevant for the installer
> - an example file with a Thai text
> - a screenshot of how that example file is supposed to look
>
> I'll then give it a try myself.

Attached.

I've classified the missing glyphs in di-missing.txt.
- "In-use" means it's currently used in d-i translation; so it's required.
- "Potential" means it's not found in d-i translation, but there is high
  potential to be used in other relevant packages (xorg, exim4, debconf,
  etc.)
- "Rare" means it's rarely used, and can be safely omitted.

For the missing Thai digits and punctuation marks, I'm quite sure
they are not used in the translation.

For the screenshot, I've chosen a bitmap font that is closest to the one
used in the directfb d-i. It's an 8-bit TIS-620 font aliased "thai8x16" from
xfonts-thai-manop package. And I took it on xiterm+thai (from xiterm+thai
package) by converting it to TIS-620 for the display.

>> > 2) Did you also try it in the very early stages of the installation?
>>
>> I don't know how I can do this.
>
> The same way you do it during later stages...
> The important point here is the "load additional installer components"
> step. I want to know if it works the same before that step as after that
> step.

OK. It's quite hard to try on IDE harddisk before the "load additional installer
components" step. The system refuses to mount, complaining that no such
device is found. Only after the "detect harddisks" step would it mount.
But that requires loading additional component.

So, I try another way: put the text file in USB flash drive. Boot into expert
install mode. Skip directly to the "execute a shell" step without even
choosing the language. Then, plug the flash drive in, and the kernel finds
the flash drive and mounts it successfully.

And it still works.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan