Re: Correction on Sarge Installer

Well I haven't see this thst way. I hate to dump working computer, I really like to reycle old computer with Linux but I guess I'll have to deal with openBSD or NetBSD for these machines. (SparcStation 5 and SparcClassic....)

:(

Thanks for the reply

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 09:01:25AM -0500, Julien Savard wrote:
> Debian Sarge was the last to officially support all sparc32 systems (wich
> include sun4, sun4c, sun4d and sun4m). Etch support only sun4m and lenny
> only support sparc64. I have an old SparcStation5 ans a Sparc Classic wich
> are both sun4m. I already tried NetBsd but it's way too slow. Furthermore
> compile a single package may takes up to 7 hours! I can dowload pre-compiled
> package from "sun" website but it's not a package manager and I fear it
> won't last with Oracle... In the other hand, Debian Sarge (or
> even Etch) would be perfect if I didn't have apt-get distupgrade from Woody
> (It's the only one I can install beacause I can manually edit the
> source.list during installation) and recompile a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.

Even if you manage to get this system installed, you will have no security
support for it.  What's the point of this exercise?  If you were doing a
research project of some kind, comparing Debian releases, I could understand
that; but from your message, it sounds like you're trying to *use* this
system.  I understand the enticement of getting Debian running on old and
interesting hardware; I have a SparcStation 5 here myself.  But I haven't
booted it in 4 years, and even then it was too slow to actually be useful
for anything.  Now, it would be too slow, and insecure besides.  So I really
can't recommend running such a system once you do succeed in installing it.

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com                                     vorlon@debian.org