busybox: pushing patches upstream (was: debian (lenny) installer via serial console does not support hardware flow control (for serial over lan))

Package: busybox-static
Version: 1:1.17.1-6
Severity: normal

Noticed some of the patches were not pushed upstream and I can't find
enough info motivating why they're needed.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> On Saturday 23 October 2010 16:55, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > Or, enable CRTSCTS, if available:
> >
> > 	http://bugs.debian.org/528560
> >
> > Now, this is only _one_ of the numerous debian busybox patches.  This
> > tar-ball:
> >
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/busybox/busybox_1.17.1-6.debian.tar.gz
> >
> > (part of debian/patches/series) shows:
> >
> > ---8<---
> > doc-man-name.patch
> > shell-ash-export-HOME.patch
> > applets-fallback.patch
> > version.patch
> > init-console.patch
> > strip.patch
> > make_gen_build_files_skip_quilt.patch
> >
> > # The following patches have been merged upstream and will be in version 1.18
> > [...]
> >
> > # The following patches will likely be merged soon
> > u-mount-FreeBSD-support.patch
> > swaponoff-FreeBSD-support.patch
> >
> > # not sent upstream
> > init-console-CRTSCTS.patch
> > --->8---
> >
> > I didn't check, but from what I gather _not all_ those patches are
> > applied upstream.  Would be interesting to know which one(s) are
> > acceptable/arguable/inacceptable.
>
> applets-fallback.patch - needs explaining what it achieves
>
> init-console.patch - needs explaining why this is necessary
>
> make_gen_build_files_skip_quilt.patch
> 	- needs to add comment and use less mind-bending escaping (.\?\* - ???)
>
> shell-ash-export-HOME.patch - exports PATH. bash doesn't do it. Why?
>
> strip.patch - why? it seems to work fine as-is
>
> swaponoff-FreeBSD-support.patch, u-mount-FreeBSD-support.patch - big, needs review
>
> version.patch - why?
>

> The rest was already in git, or has been pushed to git.

Thanks.  Digged up some names from the debian package changelog and added
them to the Cc: list.  I was not able to find relevant info about the
commented patches, but I hope something will happen soon, as this message
will go to the debian BTS.

Cheers,

--
Cristian