Re: Complicated installation from USB

Le vendredi 10 septembre 2010, Miguel Figueiredo a écrit :
> We all know that with current manpower not all can be addressed but this
> can be discussed for Squeeze+1 (Wheezy) if someone care to work on this.

Well, a solution has actually been implemented as a patch two years and
a half ago, as reported in the bug #505773.

> For now it is worth:
> - being documented in the BTS as a wishlist bug against debian-installer.

Done, this is #596335.

> - continue to develop the idea from current d-i code.

This is unfortunately something I would not be able to do. To me,
debian-installer is a great piece of software, just too complicated for
me. I even have difficulties to find what image is where: on the cdimage
mirrors or on the regular mirrors? So I usually only use the d-i as an
opaque software, in the form of the netboot kernel/initrd that are its
most flexible form.

So the solution I would implement for my personal use is to post-process
the incomplete hd-media images to complete them with the missing optical
disk images. But I do not think such a work around would fit into the
official image building process.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo